Pages

Monday, April 26, 2010

Slimy Mixed Greens

I am not ever going to buy another oversized container of Spring Mixed Greens again. 

Makoto and I like to eat greens with every meal and now that it's summer time, we like to gorge ourselves on fresh salads.

On our last grocery shopping trip, we bought one of those extra huge containers of organic spring mixed greens.  But I find that once you open the container, you basically have two days to finish it before your fresh greens turn into slimy, yucky greens.  I secretly like the fact that Makoto can't stand wasting food but when he snuck in a little baggy of mixed greens into the movie theatre, I knew we should no longer buy these extra large tubs of greens.

Before you let this blog entry become an excuse not to eat fresh greens, there are several other types of greens that do stay nice and crisp for at least a week after you open the container.  This includes arugula/baby arugula (our absolute fave), baby spinach and mache.

Of course, if you do have time, buying whole heads/bunches of greens is the best way to go in terms of freshness.  Although, if cleaning, spinning and chopping up these greens will deter you from eating salads, don't feel guilty buying the pre-packaged, ready to eat greens!  Healthy compromises! :)

3 comments:

  1. I have a secret to tell you ... I actually like arugula as well ... and even endives. For some reason the bitterness is great. Just keep the bitterness out of my coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew that you would eventually cave coffeestork! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what works for me... When I buy one of those plastic containers of mixed greens, I rewash them when I get home and make sure to dry them well. I then put them back into their original container, but I punch a number of small slits in the cover with a knife before popping the container in the fridge. A week later and my greens are still crispy! Hope this helps...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails